Elvis Trivia and Facts about Elvis Presley
January 8, 1935: Elvis is born, in Tupelo, Mississippi.
Summer, 1953: Elvis records a demo acetate at Memphis Recording Service.
July 5, 1954: Elvis records a song that is widely recognized as the birth of rock’ n ‘roll – “That’s All Right (Mama)”
August, 1955: Colonel Tom Parker signs up as Elvis’ manager.
November, 1955: Signs a record deal with RCA for $35000. Shortly afterwards Elvis has a number 1 hit with the song “Heartbreak Hotel”.
August 1956: “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Hound Dog” released as a double-sided single.
November, 1956: Presley makes his acting debut with the movie “Love Me Tender”.
March, 1958: Elvis gets the call and is drafted into US Army. He gets stationed in Germany where he meets Priscilla Beaulieu.
August 14, 1958: Elvis’ mother Gladys Presley dies at Methodist Hospital in Memphis.
March, 1960: Elvis is discharged from US Army after two years service.
May 1, 1967: Elvis marries Priscilla Beaulieu in Las Vegas.
February 1, 1968: Daughter Lisa Marie Presley is born in Memphis.
July, 1968: Taping of the NBC special begins, named “Elvis”, but popularly referred to as “The ’68 Comeback Special”. The show airs in December of the same year.
July, 1969: Presley opens at Las Vegas.
December, 1970: Elvis meets President Richard Nixon at the White House and receives a “Special Agent” badge.
Early 1972: Priscilla and Elvis separate.
October 9, 1973: Priscilla and Elvis get divorced.
January 14, 1973: Aloha From Hawaii concert.
August 16, 1977: Elvis dies at Graceland Mansion, Memphis.
January 23, 1986: Elvis Presley is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
• The only other country Elvis ever performed in other then the United States is Canada (Three Concerts).
• During his career, Elvis made only one television commercial – an ad for “Southern Maid Doughnuts” that ran in 1954.
• Elvis wore 11D sized shoes.
• Elvis idolized Gen. D. MacArthur
• Although Elvis wore different aftershaves, his favorite was “Brut”.
• Elvis collected statues of Venus de Milo and Joan of Arc.
• The FBI collected well over 600 pages of files on Elvis.
• Roy Orbison dedicated a song to Elvis entitled “Hound Dog Man”.
• President Jimmy Carter is a distant cousin of Elvis’.
• Elvis’ last relationship was with Ginger Alden which lasted from November 1976 until his death.
• After the Whitehouse, Graceland is the most-visited house in America
• People Elvis was close to received matching diamond and gold necklaces sporting a thunderbolt. The Men received jewelery that was engraved with the initials “TCB” (Taking Care Of Business) and the women with “TLC” (Tender Loving Care).
• Elvis was 12 years old when he got his first guitar in 1946. It was a birthday present from his Mother and it cost $12.95 at the Tupelo Hardware Store.
• Elvis liked to read. Two of his favorite books were The Holy Bible and The Impersonal Life.
• Elvis enjoyed many sports but his favorites were football and raquetball.
• Sweden issued a postage stamp featuring Elvis in 2004.
• Elvis received his first driver’s license in 1951.
• Elvis wrote a song in 1962 entitled “You’ll Be Gone”. Priscilla thought it was terrible that he never attempted to write a song again.
• At the age of 10 Elvis made his first public performance in a singing contest at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and won second prize.
• Elvis’ last hit was “Way Down” (#18 in 1977).
1. Which record company gave Elvis his start? Sun Records
2. When was Elvis born? January 8, 1935 at 4:35 a.m.
3. What is the name of Elvis’ only child? Lisa Marie
4. What was the first National TV show that Elvis appeared on? Stage Show
5. The Draft Board gave Elvis a two month deferment to complete what movie? King Creole
6. What was Elvis’ first gold record? Heartbreak Hotel
7. In what year did Elvis purchase Graceland? 1957
8. How much did Elvis pay for Graceland? $100,000
9. What was Elvis Presley’s favorite soft drink? Pepsi Cola
10. In what city did Elvis marry Priscilla? Las Vegas
Is a direct descendant of Isaiah Harrison, who is Abraham Lincoln’s great-great grandfather.
Survived a tornado in Tupelo, Mississippi, which killed 233 infants.
Was delivered 35 minutes after his twin brother Jesse Garon Presley who sadly died at birth.